SWAT demo

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Tue Mar 10 15:42:54 GMT 1998

On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Dan Shearer wrote:

> Are you planning to let the web server (or pseudo-web server) do all
> the authentication a la jitterbug to keep the functions separate?
>
> > That is a bit more ambitious than what I am aiming for initially with
> > SWAT. Maybe for SWAT II ?
>
> Perhaps an RPC-based configurator is a separate program (SRAT?) Nobody is
> going to be mixing HTTP and RPC in a single configuration session somehow
> are they?

i would hope so: i would love to see a program exist (not provided by
microsoft) that proxies between these two disparate protocols.
administrators can use secure http to connect to a web front-end, type in
a domain admin username/password on a remote domain?  _great_ fun!

regardless, the functionality already exists / is being developed in
smbclient, as it is needed for test purposes against both NT and Samba
servers.  i am deliberately libratising the calls, in case they are needed
elsewhere.

luke