Username mapping

Andy Smith abs at maunsell.co.uk
Sat Jun 6 09:53:20 GMT 1998

On Sat, Jun 06, 1998 at 09:18:06AM +1000, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> My suggestion is that, if we keep machine accounts and
> trust accounts as valid unix users in the unix /etc/passwd
> file, as well as the current valid unix users (so we know
> there's no mapping conflict with uids), then we can reduce
> the 3 bit shift to a 1 bit shift, as all we ever will need
> to differentiate in the ACL code is users and groups.
>
> All other use of rids is explicit in the particular
> RPC call - thus allowing a much greater mapping range
> for users and groups.
>
> Thoughts anyone (I could do this easily, just change
> the #defines RID_MASK and RID_MULTIPLIER from 3 and
> 8 to 1 and 2 respectively, the same code would work
> fine) ?

That will break the roaming profiles again wont it? - no problem
particularly, I havent made available the latest version yet, but was
planning to this weekend.  I will hold off then, no point in disturbing
people twice.

--
  _          __         Maunsell Ltd, IT Unit    Tel  : 0181-663-6565
 /_|   _/   (  _  '_//  160 Croydon Road,        Fax  : 0181-663-6723
(  |/)(/(/ __)//)/ //)  Beckenham, Kent BR3 4DE  Email: abs at maunsell.co.uk
        /               England.                 -or- abs at maunsl00.demon.co.uk