Username mapping

Jean-Francois Micouleau Jean-Francois.Micouleau at utc.fr
Fri Jun 5 18:59:47 GMT 1998

On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> i need to create a "domain map username" parameter.
>
> then you will be able to do things like log in with a 20 character name
> and actually be logged in with an 8 character name.

before you start writing code to support a new option:

In the original mail, Kevin said the trouble is with a username longer
than 8 chars in /etc/passwd.

So I suspect somewhere samba truncate the username to 8 chars before doing
the compare against /etc/passwd.

BTW, this re-open the thread about OS supporting username longer than 8
chars for trust accounts, as it looks like linux (redhat 4.2) support it