Just-in-time mounts when following symlinks

David Collier-Brown davecb at Canada.Sun.COM
Thu Jun 4 11:30:54 GMT 1998

Albert Chin-A-Young wrote:
> The problem occurs when users descend into a directory with a list
> of symbolic links (such as \\samba\d418 above). When you descend
> into this directory, the Samba server will kick off the automounter
> in this directory and mount everything in /d418. This becomes a big
> problem when there are *many* symbolic links in a directory pointing
> to autmounted paths

	Before I open my big mouth, could someone on the list
	who's familiar with the algorithms used to avoid
	similar large-directory performance problems post
	a capsule description of what's being done now?

--dave
Willowdale, Ontario   | davecb at hobbes.ss.org, canada.sun.com
M2N 1Y3. 416-223-8968 | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb