Logging and debug screwing up things in clitar ...

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Fri Jul 31 05:16:39 GMT 1998

At 02:19 PM 7/31/98 +1000, tridge at samba.anu.edu.au wrote:
>> I have looked at util.c, and there, if we are interactive, it sets dbf to
>> stdout, which seems a tad wrong.  I suggest that debug output should go out
>> on stderr.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest why it should not be so?
>
>the way it works currently is users can ask for it to go to stderr by
>using the -E option. Most scripts would want to do this.

OK, further investigation reveals that thoughtlessness on my part is the
problem.  I have a stupid printf in two places that screws up the use of -E!

As soon as I gain access to the CVS tree, I will pull the new tree and
issue a fix.

>It goes to stdout merely for backward compatibility with badly thought
>out original code.
>
>    Cheers, Tridge

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, NIC-Handle:RJS96
NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
Ph: +61-8-8281-0063, FAX: +61-8-8250-2080,
Samba, Linux, Apache, Digital UNIX, AIX, Netscape, Stronghold, C, ...