DEBUG Docs.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at NTS.Umn.EDU
Fri Jul 31 04:21:07 GMT 1998

> > - In either case, the first line of the body of the message could be the
> >   function name, typed in by the programmer.
>
> nope. I don't want to have a debug system require that the programmer
> add the function name or file name anywhere but at the start of the
> function. No way.

This wouldn't be a requirement.  This would be the same thing that we do
now.  It would be added as part of the body (and would not be parsable).

> we have (quick count) 3239 DEBUG() statements in Samba. Maybe a couple
> of dozen of those have the function name in them now.

I'm pretty sure it's more than that, but it doesn't really matter.

> Can you imagine the nightmare of keeping those thousands of debug
> statements correct? They won't stay correct. That is the nature of
> programming.

That exists already.  If you change a function, you still have to update
the DEBUG() statements.

> Anything that makes programming less enjoyable and more painful is
> out. This will make it a heck of lot less enjoyable for me.

While I'm not sure that it would, arguing with you always makes things
less enjoyable for me so I'll take the macro out and put in the code for
__LINE__.  I should be able to get that done tomorrow, and hopefully
start to check things in.

Sigh.

Chris -)-----