fsync and speed

David Collier-Brown davecb at Canada.Sun.COM
Mon Jul 27 12:59:01 GMT 1998

Andrew Tridgell wrote:
> We've put up with this for a long time by saying that we are doing the
> right thing by the protocol spec. The problem is that with the Win98
> explorer calling sync on every 1.5k write the Samba performance is now
> really dreadful. I think we need a "no sync" option to combat this
> stupid MS programming. Anyone disagree? Anyone like to make it the
> default?

	Aaargh!  Windows programmer can't read!

	May I suggest
		synch = always | when-asked | never
		default ::= never

	...and a cut-over period when
		synch always = YES 	::= synch = always
		synch always = NO 	::= ERROR
	so as to bring the semantic change to the attention
	of anyone who would be harmed by it.

--dave
Willowdale, Ontario   | davecb at hobbes.ss.org, canada.sun.com
M2N 1Y3. 416-223-8968 | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb