Samba 1.9.18p10 vs 1.9.16p11 and Eudora 3.01 problems

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Tue Dec 22 07:01:46 GMT 1998

At 12:17 PM 12/22/98 +1100, I wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I have come across a strange problem with a friends site. He is running
>1.9.16p11, and has lots of users using Eudora 3.01 with their mailbox files
>up on file services served by Samba.
>
>Recently, under my urging, he moved to 1.9.18p10, only to find a problem
>with Eudora and mailboxes.  If they moved messages between mailboxes, the
>next time they open the recipient mailbox, they get a dialog message up
>saying that the toc was out of date with respect to the mailbox file.
>
>I have looked at a trace, and apart from the egregious things Eudora is
>doing, like lots of zero length writes of its ini file, it closes the TOC
>file before it closes the MBX file.
>
>And in the close of the MBX, it looks like the update time is being set in
>1.9.18p10 to the close time or the time specified in the close.  At least
>things are different between 1.9.18p10 and 1.9.16p11.
>
>Has anyone seen this problem and can anyone comment?

Well, we did a bit more digging, and looked at a trace generated by
1.9.16p11 and concluded that Eudora 3.01 was being bitten by OpLocks.
1.9.18 has got OpLock support and 1.9.16 did not have.

It looks like the redirector on the (Windows NT) PC is reordering some
events, and causing the close of the MBX file to occur after the TOC file.

I suggested that my friend set OPLOCKS = NO on the file service that is
being used (HOMES) and see what effect that has. If that fixes the problem,
then he can use OPLOCK VETO = *.mbx *.toc and see if that fixes the Eudora
problem while at the same time recovering most of the advantage of the
performance improvements of OpLocks.

Any comments?

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, NIC-Handle:RJS96
NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
Ph: +61-8-8281-0063, FAX: +61-8-8250-2080,
Samba, Linux, Apache, Digital UNIX, AIX, Netscape, Stronghold, C, ...