SMB_MOUNT_VERSION - not quite solved...

Sam Steingold sds at goems.com
Fri Dec 18 16:36:30 GMT 1998

that has been posted to comp.os.linux.development.system as well.

Another thing I just noticed: smbmount process doesn't terminate - it's
still displayed by `ps' after it has returned to the shell and I can
access the smb shares already.  sometimes, after I remount smb shares
several times, I accumulate a sizeable collection of smbmount processes
running in the background:

    40     0  9728     1   0   0   1564   468 pause       S   ?   0:00 smbmount //eagle_one/common XXXXXXXX -c mount /mnt/h
    40     0 10188     1   0   0   1564   776 pause       S   ?   0:00 smbmount //eagle_one/common XXXXXXXX -c mount /mnt/h

 >> >Yes, after rebooting with the right kernel, it does work. sort of.
 >> >every now and then I lose connection and start getting
 >> >
 >> >$ ll /mnt/h
 >> >ls: /mnt/h: Input/output error
 >> >$ ll /mnt/h
 >> >ls: /mnt/h: Broken pipe
 >> >$ ll /mnt/h
 >> >ls: /mnt/h: Input/output error
 >> >
 >> >after I do
 >> ># umount /mnt/h; smbmount ...
 >> >
 >> >I can access the smb shares for a while, and then I have to remount them again...
 >> >
 >> That sounds like a connection error.  I'd suspect the machine you were
 >> mounting - check the logs on that machine to see if it has any error
 >> messages.

The server is nt4sp3.  where do I look for the logs?

 >> You might also try the samba technical mailing list
 >> (samba-technical at samba.org).  They might have heard of something
 >> similar to that happening.

thanks, I am CCing this message to them.

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.goems.com/~sds) running RedHat5.2 GNU/Linux
Micros**t is not the answer.  Micros**t is a question, and the answer is Linux,