Samba Configuration file and memory usage

David Collier-Brown davecb at Canada.Sun.COM
Wed Dec 16 12:43:30 GMT 1998

Peter Polkinghorne wrote:
> Background:
>  Samba 1.9.18p10 on Solaris 2.5.1 built with Sun C 4.2.
>
> Problem:
>  Observed that samba daemons (smbd) were using 2Mb of space each - a problem
> on our older servers with 100+ clients.
>
> This was also more than when we did some performance testing.
>
> Observation:
>  On an unused server ran truss (system call tracer) on main daemon (do not use
> inetd) and also followed children.  From brk.2 calls, it was clear that 1.2Mb
> of data was added between opening & closing the config file.
>
> Our config file is large - 778 defined shares - 128k bytes in size - all
> possible shares for all possible servers
[additional discussion snipped]

	This also implies that one should not use
	"load printers = yes" and the [printers] share
	on a heavily used print server (which causes dynamic
	creation of printer shares), but instead create
	explicit [printer-name] shares via a script...

--dave
Willowdale, Ontario   | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb
Work: (905) 477-0437, Home: (416) 223-8968, Email: davecb at canada.sun.com