SAMLOGON UDP request

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Fri Dec 11 21:50:17 GMT 1998

Edan Idzerda wrote:

> I've not been following this thread extremely closely, but I will say
> right now that I do NOT want to add Unix accounts for NT machines.  Icky
> poo.

Unfortunately that's the way it works - we hashed this
out several months ago on this very list.

The problem is that NT machine accounts and user accounts
are allocated out of the same RID space. The only way
of preventing potential clashes between UNIX user accounts
mapped to NT rids and NT machine RID accounts is to do the
same and ensure that the NT machine accounts are blocked
out in the UNIX uid space (ie. allocate UNIX accounts for
them).

Icky maybe, but at least it's safe.

Jeremy.