SAMLOGON UDP request

Andrej Borsenkow borsenkow.msk at sni.de
Fri Dec 11 18:45:31 GMT 1998

> This can eliminate need to have "users" for workstations in
> > /etc/passwd at all.
>
> Nope. To have an account in smbpasswd, those account must be in
> etc/passwd. Samba is based on unix security.

Not sure, that I follow ... these "accounts" are never used to login and
access files or anything like - they are used to authenticate workstations
... so what is the point to have them in Unix /etc/passwd? They are
completely internal to SAMBA - it is the same, as put every terminal name in
/etc/passwd.

Just KISS. Users must have credentials and be in /etc/passwd - workstations
never need credentials. so why have them there?

/andrej