listing of daemons running on a unix server

Edan Idzerda edan at mtu.edu
Thu Dec 10 02:16:16 GMT 1998

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> > I agree with some of the other responses to this question --- don't let samba manage
> > the UNIX OS daemons.
>
> it's actually dce/rpc over SMB managing UNIX OS daemons.  samba just
> happens to provide the dce/rpc over SMB bit.

My two bits:

Samba is wonderful and brings more joy to me each day than Santa Claus
because it allows me to have Micro$oft clients and administer them
from God's operating system, Unix.

Does the geek in me appreciate that Abuser Manager For Domains
shows unix users from Windows 95?  Yer damn straight!  But what
makes me really giddy is when you tell me I can maniuplate an
NT registry from the Unix command line.  THAT'S what Samba is
to me!  I want control of Windoze from Unix, not control
of Unix from Windoze.  *shudder*

SWAT is neat because sometimes a graphical interface is
nice.  But the biggest reason I switched to Apache from Netscape's
server was ease of administration through config files.  I'm
not familiar with vi AND emacs to use a web browser for everything :)

> actually, running samba at all reduces your security to the lowest common
> denominator: NT security.

No, it's when I run Crack and find passwords of "jennifer" or "bozo"
that I find the lowest common denominator--users.

Keep fighting the good fight!

- edan