listing of daemons running on a unix server

Tim Potter tpot at acsys.anu.edu.au
Wed Dec 9 22:05:16 GMT 1998

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Lance S. Nehring wrote:

> > is there a way to obtain a list of daemons running?  is there a method for
> > starting / stopping them?
>
> I'm not aware of any UNIX standard way of asking which daemons are alive.

The /etc/rc.d/init.d {start|stop|restart} system is pretty standard.  It's
called System V init.  It has the advantage of being somewhat modular but
has a bit of a high overhead in that it needs to start up many shells.

Anyway, I think the issue has been resolved.  Isn't it great all this work
going on while you're asleep.  (-:

Tim.