listing of daemons running on a unix server

William Stuart william at hae.com
Wed Dec 9 18:31:06 GMT 1998

Luke--

I don't think you can rely on a preexisting system to implement this
feature.

First of all they vary too much across platforms.

Second, when Admins add new services they don't always maintain the same
rc.d convention, due to time constraints, lack of knowledge,
nonapplicabilty.  For example, I never saw the need to do a S99smb restart,
I didn't write one; neither did I write a stop.  In fact, my S99smb looks
like this:

/usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D
/usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D

I would recommend developing a config file for those SysAdmins who want to
use SAMBA to manage services.  This file could contain information on
command line switches, whether it can be restarted with -HUP or should be
killed and the restarted, and the possibility to link a script instead of a
binary.
---
William Stuart (william at hae.com)