nmbd does not start without smbd (fwd)

Andrej Borsenkow borsenkow.msk at sni.de
Tue Dec 8 16:29:14 GMT 1998

> > > I would recommend that an option be added to smbpasswd to
> generate the SID
> > > and that this runs as part of 'make install'.  If no SID
> exists then smbd
> > > and nmbd should fail to start.
> >
> > ah.  that sounds like a good idea to me.
>
> no, I don't think we want that. It just makes the whole system more
> fragile.

I tend to agree with William. If we run SAMBA as PDC, the SID can only be
generated once. If it is changed after that, you have new domain ... with
all implications. And now imagine, that accidently SID file was lost, and
smbd blindly generates new SID on next startup. That is what I call fragile.
Again, it is better to play safe and fail to start in this case.

/andrej