nmbd does not start without smbd (fwd)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Fri Dec 4 23:19:12 GMT 1998

On Sat, 5 Dec 1998, Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> > obtain the sid using lsa_query_info_policy() instead of creating
> > sam_name.SID and reading it, which is a race-condition problem.
>
> then solve the race condition some other way. There is no way we want
> nmbd to be reliant on smbd running. It will make things so much more
> fragile.
>
> maybe you should explain the race condition so we can propose a
> solution.

both nmbd and smbd need to know the SID of the SAM database that the samba
server is responsible for.  calling generate_sam_sid() from both nmbd and
smbd for the very first time, there's no locking in there, so both can
detect that the file does not exist, and both can generate a random SID
and both can write it out to the same file.

even if nmbd reads its SAM sid from a file (locking issues assumed to be
resolved), there's the Domain SID to obtain, if configured as a member of
a domain.

you _still_ need to do a LsaQueryInfoPolicy(level 3) call to obtain this
SID from somewhere.  ah, but that will be from the PDC.

so the code currently isn't sophisticated enough, basically.