samba-2.0.0alpha1

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Mon Aug 31 17:36:27 GMT 1998

Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> I've just released samba-2.0.0alpha1. I spoke to Jeremy about starting
> to do automatic weekly alpha releases. He thought it was OK but asked
> me to wait till next week. I thought "it's already next week in
> Australia" so I did a release now :)

Hoist by my own lingustic semantics :-).

> From now until Samba 2.0.0 is finally released there will be an
> automated weekly release of the current CVS code at 5pm Tuesday
> Canberra time.

I think this is a very good idea - we'd got positively
'cathedral' like - thansk for stirring it up Andrew :-).

Just one suggestion - rather than bumping the release
rev number each week do you think we should attach a
date in YYYYMMDD style format to the version string ?

That way people will know these versions haven't gone
through *any* QA (essentially) and when we start getting
close to "stable" we can go back to the version number
releases.

Let me know what you think,

Cheers,

	Jeremy.