NT 4.0 file creation date - bug (fwd)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Mon Aug 31 13:15:36 GMT 1998

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 10:13:48 -0700
From: Mark Allen <markall at MICROSOFT.COM>
To: NTBUGTRAQ at LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM
Subject: Re: NT 4.0 file creation date - bug

I asked around, and was told:

"This is by design.  To accommodate preservation of security and other
attributes on behalf of legacy applications that edit files by deleting the
original and writing(/renaming) a new copy in its place, if the file is
recreated in a short period of time it is assumed to be the same file and
meta-data for the file will be preserved.

If this behavior is undesirable, it can be turned off.  See Q172190 for more
details."

Here's a link to that article:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q172/1/90.asp