browse synchronisation

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Mon Aug 31 12:47:18 GMT 1998

On Sun, 30 Aug 1998, Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> browse synchronisation, a inter-DMB sync. Right now we have no
> automatic inter-DMB sync (neither does MS) and I think this is at the
> heart of the problem of WANs with many separated workgroups not seeing
> each other.

correct.  except remember that nt uses three mechanisms to get round this:

1) inter-domain trust relationships, which are set up manually by
administrator2

2) \PIPE\winsrv (whatever) - a query is possible to obtain all workgroups,
i suspect (not confirmed)

3) in network | services | browser, you can manually "add" workgroups.
this results in a "listening" netbios name being added (WORKGROUP<00>) to
the browser.

> I'm going to start adding the async browse synchronisation, unless
> someone knows of a good reason not to!

nope.  sounds like an excellent idea.