UNIX DNS talking to WINS using samba

Pradeep Subramaniam pradeep at algorithmics.com
Sat Aug 29 16:06:22 GMT 1998

I currently have samba, version 1.9.17p2 running in our predominantly
Solaris environment, serving files to the W95 and NT boxes.

I recently heard that it is possible to have the UNIX DNS server talk
to the WINS server on an NT box, hence enabling the UNIX workstations
to refer to a PC or laptop, joining the network using DHCP, by a name
rather than the IP address.

Could someone out there please tell me if I can do this with the
version of samba I have right now, or should I upgrade to a later
version?

Also, where can I go for detailed documentation on how to set this up?

Pradeep.

--
Pradeep Subramaniam, Snr. Sys. Admin.   | You can fool some of the people
Algorithmics Inc., Toronto, On., Canada.|   all the time, but not all the