nmbd/smbd default behavior.

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Wed Aug 12 17:28:09 GMT 1998

Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> reason behind this, I've *not* tried to "fix" anything.  My gut
> reaction would be to change smbd so that it defaults to overwriting
> the logs and its -a option means append.

I think that defaulting to overwriting the files would be **bad**.
Simply by restarting the smbd daemon you would effectively erase
logs of attacks and / or bugs.  This has long bothered me about nmbd
( although I relaize I can override this ).  I would vote for
appending to the existing files as the default behavior.

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )