nmbd/smbd default behavior.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at NTS.Umn.EDU
Wed Aug 12 16:03:47 GMT 1998

I'm looking for some background and history on an oddity...

Nmbd defaults to overwriting existing log files while smbd defaults to
appending to existing log (debug) files.  Jeremy wrote that he thought
that this was by design, so I haven't changed it.  Also, the -a option
turns append *on* for nmbd and *off* for smbd.

These two oddities seem related and, since I've heard that there may be
reason behind this, I've *not* tried to "fix" anything.  My gut reaction
would be to change smbd so that it defaults to overwriting the logs and
its -a option means append.

This seems inconsistent and unresolved to me, which is why I bring it up.

Comments?

Chris -)-----