lib/*/*/*

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Mon Aug 10 15:05:56 GMT 1998

On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> I've now looked more closely at the lib/*/*/* hierarchy that we
> currently have and think that we should change it. I'd like the whole
> source tree to be consistent in layout, and having some deep parts and
> some shallow parts seems inconsistent to me.
>
> It currently contains 12 directories. Only 2 of those (lib/rpc/parse
> and lib/rpc/server) actually contain code that does anything at the
> moment and there is 1 include directory.
>
> So I propose to hack lib/ in the following way:
>
> 1) move lib/rpc/server/* to rpc_server/*
> 2) move lib/rpc/parse/* to rpc_parse/*
> 3) move lib/rpc/include/* to include/*

tridge,

i want to be able to copy the entire lib/rpc subtree to other
applications.  i also want to keep the CODING.STANDARDS file in lib/rpc as
a "warning" to people (you are now entering a DMZ.  proceed with caution)

lib_rpc/server
lib_rpc/parse
lib_rpc/include

... is fine.

i also intend at some point to do this:

lib/rpc/server/samr
lib/rpc/server/lsa
lib/rpc/server/srv
lib/rpc/server/wks

etc.

so flattening to a one-level structure now won't make much difference.