directory deletions - there will be chaos

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.anu.edu.au
Sat Aug 8 02:46:41 GMT 1998

There is no way to properly delete directories in cvs without removing
them directly in the repository. I will soon be deleting a whole pile
of empty and redundent directories.

After the directory rearrangement lots of people will see messages
like the following:

cvs [update aborted]: cannot open directory /data/cvs/samba/source/lib/mem_man: No such file or directory

this is caused by cvs keeping records of what subdirectories are in
each directory in the CVS/Entries files.

The solution is for everyone to checkout a clean copy of the tree
after the rearrangement. You could instead hack all your CVS/Entries
files but I wouldn't recommend it as it is too prone to mistakes. A
clean checkout is much easier.