Can't get Samba to switch to Group after authentication

Bankston, Euwell Euwell_Bankston at fmi.com
Tue Apr 28 22:45:00 GMT 1998

This might be the wrong posting area. But please bare with me and tell
me where to post this.
I had to compile Samba with the HP-UX products and HP Ansi-C.  The Samba
machine (chimchim) attempts to validate to the domain, using the NT LM
0.12 . It authenticates my test account fine (testusr6) with

Password server FMDC01 accepted the password
Then it appears that it looks to the local machine for an account,
doesn't find it, and then uses the guest account.
I attempted force user/force group to a valid local Unix account on the
share, but it does not seem to switch to the forced user It launches an
IPC$ connection stating it

Could not set gid -24 currently set to (0, 0)
Can't become connected user!
[Date time ] error packet at line 171 cmd=117 (SMBtconX) eclass=2
ecode-2
error string = Invalid argument

I get this even when not forcing user when it looks for a valid local
account.

Let me explain.  I am trying to use the NT logons and groups to allow
access to local Unix resources for uploads of financial data.  It would
be easier to use the NT groups to control this across the many Unix/NT
systems.
Any idea?

   _/_      Euwell M. Bankston, Jr.
  _/ _/     CommTech Industries