samba run-time modification to smb.conf files

Christopher R. Hertel crh at NTS.Umn.EDU
Fri Apr 24 21:44:26 GMT 1998

> there are numerous dce/rpc "set" calls.  is it reasonable to support
> these?
>
> if so, we will need to add the capability (currently only found in swat)
> to smbd to write to smb.conf files.  this is one reason why i suggested
> that swat (or swat v2) go "via" a samba daemon instead of editing smb.conf
> files direct.
             ^ directly
                     --

Luke,

I don't know the specifics of dce/rpc.  Is this something we can freely
implement?

I've been talking about putting an interface in front of passwords, WINS
database, configuration, and other internal data sets.  A while ago, you
suggested dce/rpc for this.  I'd like to consider it, but I need more
info.

Note that such a move will take a great deal of time.  Not because it's
hard, but because we'll want to go at it slowly.  If we succeed, we'll
have an interface that can be used to tie in *separate* LDAP, SQL, etc.
type tools.

Early design stage...

Chris -)-----