Max open files....

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.anu.edu.au
Tue Apr 21 03:30:15 GMT 1998

> I'll need to keep track of file position, open
> mode, etc. so that the file is re-opened correctly when re-activated.  I
> could, I suppose, also keep track of desired locks and re-apply them.

sure. The problem is that while closed (ie. idled) the OS has no way
of knowing that there is a lock on the file. This means that the OS
will happily grant another process access. That is the problem Jeremy
doesn't like.

My plan was to idle only files that are currently exclusive
oplocked. This will be OK as long as the underlying OS doesn't have an
oplock mechanism itself. None do at the moment. Jeremy's pet project
is to convince OS vendors to add such support, and when they do we
will have to choose between idling and kernel oplock support. We can't
have both.

Personally I think that the OS vendors are just teasing Jeremy and
they won't actually put in oplock support in the next year or two :-)

> Another option would be to *not* close files that have locks open.

nope, the only files you can safely close are those with exclusive
oplocks active. Luckily this is the vast majority of files :-)

Cheers, Andrew