Regex, clitar.c and Autoconf

Anand Kumria wildfire at progsoc.uts.edu.au
Mon Apr 20 14:22:18 GMT 1998

On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, Richard Sharpe wrote:

> I am modifying clitar.c to use the following approach with respect to
> regex.h and friends:

[snip]

> This brings up a issue with respect to autoconf.
>
> We need a way of specifying the names of defines that autoconf will set
> based on what it finds in the OS. Perhaps the person/people doing the
> autoconf work should be the keeper of these names and should specify the
> naming convention.

That would be me; is it enough to know that the headers files exist? If so
the Autoconf convention is HAVE_<headername>; e.g. HAVE_REGEX_H if
<regex.h> was found on the system.

If you also need to do feature tests (e.g. check and see that the regcomp
works in some particular way) then there isn't any (current) standard
feature tests for the regex stuff. It is easy enough to write one though.

Anand.

--
 `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
  its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are