debugging smbd

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at regent.push.net
Sat Apr 18 15:53:35 GMT 1998

hi marty,

long time no hear from!

On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Marty Leisner wrote:

> I traditionally hacked up the code where I want to break, but in a
>         printf
> and a
>         pause
> and then attach the debugger to it (enabling it with an environment variable).

i use exactly this method.

> Is there a better/easier way to do this?
>
> Unfortuneably, sticking this after the fork breaks smb clients, since they
> expect the protocol negotiation to happen in a few seconds (is there any
> way to tell the clients not to time out so fast?)

not that i am aware of.  you have about 30 seconds, i believe, to get in
on the act following an SMBnegprot / SMBsesssetupX / SMBtconX.  i've never
tried getting in before this point.

you _could_ try after the NetBIOS "Positive Session Response"...

> 24th   leisner    23   /tmp/LEISNER.a00997                   15916 bytes
>
> It probably would be useful to give each a distinct name
> like USER.PID.1
>      USER.PID.2
> etc.
>
> (I wanted to debug print_file).
>
> Since we already have the account, would it make sense to encode the
> netbios machine in the file name? (i.e. netbios name instead of user name?)

anyone know where this name is generated?  it should be easy to track
down and put in an extra %s in there...