Max open files....

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Sat Apr 18 02:22:20 GMT 1998

At 11:21 AM 4/18/98 +1000, you wrote:
>Sorry to rear this one's ugly head again but....
>
>I still want to parameterize MAX_OPEN_FILES and
>malloc it on startup.
>
>I *know* it will crash some UNIXs (who shall remain
>nameless :-) if it gets set too high.
>
>It should be one of those "don't screw with this
>unless you know what you're doing" parameters
>and clearly labeled as such.
>
>In my talk at BayLisa last night, someone talked
>about getting Samba to run with ClearCase by
>setting MAX_OPEN_FILES to 2000 and re-compiling.
>
>This got me thinking - Samba is now becoming a
>viable alternative to NT - and many people get
>their Samba distribution via rpm or other compiled
>binary mechanism.
>
>Now you could argue that the people who can't
>re-compile are exactly the sort of people who
>should be allowed to change MAX_OPEN_FILES :-)
>but I think that's really intellectual snobbery.
>
>There are many situations where you have a
>binary package, but no compiler (thanks Sun :-)
>and you need to tweak this.
>
>I know we'll need to change it if we get the
>file idling mechanism working, but that's sometime
>in the future.
>
>What do you think ?

I support this. I recently had to rebuild Samba for a client that needed
more than 100 open files, but only for one user. I would much rather have
put this in the startup for that user so that we don't pay the cost for
every user.

However, my concerns may be meaningless if the cost is small for each file
structure.

>Cheers,
>
>	Jeremy.
>
>--
>Buying an operating system without source is like buying
>a self-assembly Space Shuttle with no instructions.

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, NIC-Handle:RJS96
NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
Ph: +61-8-8281-0063, FAX: +61-8-8250-2080,
Linux, AIX, Digital UNIX, ULTRIX, SunOS, Samba, Apache, NetScape, ICSS,
Perl, C, C++ ...