configuration, ldap and NetInfo

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.anu.edu.au
Sat Apr 18 01:10:18 GMT 1998

> Okay, so I don't know the details of SWAT (and won't because NExT/Apple
> use OPENSTEP which is based on display postscript, not X windows), but, of

ummm, SWAT doesn't use X windows :)

all you need is a browser. Surely OPENSTEP has a browser?

> course, you could always simply use a function which only returns the
> defaults ..., regardles of what else happend within samba. But, anyway, you
> seem to need that stuff, so leave it.

ahhh, but where do you get those defaults from? I looked at doing
that, but found that writing a fn that returns the default value
required a major overhaul of loadparm unless I stuck it in the
paramater array (which is what I did, of course).

> It just consumes a little bit more memory.

about 800 bytes in normal operation. Not really that much :}

you're probably assuming that the union gets filled in all cases. It
doesn't. It only gets filled if the loading was done with a
particular argument. Only SWAT and testparm provide that argument, so
smbd and nmbd only pay a 800 byte penalty, which I thought was
acceptable.

> In all cases where the separator is white space yes! But I remember two
> cases which used a '/' (alas, I'd have to lookup which paramaters) - that
> should be eliminated, although it will cause several people headaches if
> they don't edit smb.conf ...

yeah, that was done in some places because the person who did the code
didn't realise that next_token() should be used and it supports quoted
strings. These bits of code should be replaced. Backward compatibility
can be maintained by adding '/' to the separator list passed to
next_token() for those cases.

When/if we start using P_SLIST then all that sort of code will move
into one place in loadparm anyway, which would be nice. I wish I had
some spare time right now to code this ...

Cheers, Andrew