Major new ubiqx release

Christopher R. Hertel crh at NTS.Umn.EDU
Fri Apr 17 22:06:37 GMT 1998

Hey folks!

I'm preparing a major new ubiqx release this weekend.  The new code
includes the database API stuff I've been working on so feverishly.  I'm
very pleased with the results of the testing I've been doing, and I'm
particularly excited because the code could help solve some of the
problems that have been discussed here over the past weeks.

I've got a preview (code's all done but it needs some comments and I'm
*sure* there are still some small bugs hiding about) available for folks
on this list at:

  http://ruby.nts.umn.edu/crh/samba/

You'll need *all* of the .c and .h files.  There aren't any example
programs, but please read through the comments to get a sense of what I'm
doing.  It shouldn't be difficult (from my experience) to write code that
uses these modules.  I just haven't had time to write any *good* examples.

The key files are

  ubi_*DB.?   - These are the API modules.
  kdb_*.?  \
  idb_*.?   > - These are the "implementation" modules which glue a
  sa_*.?   /    data manager to an API.

I'm looking for comments.  I've started to use these to replace the
current WINS database in nmbd, and I'm planning on writing a config
management system using Sparse Arrays (and I *can* make it a drop-in,
no-speed-lost replacement for the lp_ calls -- so there!).

Chris -)-----