Autoconf and branches was: Sidebar re autoconf

Anand Kumria wildfire at progsoc.uts.edu.au
Fri Apr 17 17:25:36 GMT 1998

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> Anand wrote:
> > Okay, for onw I've simply made autoconf a different machine type.
>
> that's an interesting approach! It certainly gives us a "minimal
> change".

Indeed. It also means I can test to see how many ill effects it has when I
do define a specific machine type.

> > Before I forget, I'm putting patches on
> > <URL:ftp://ftp.progsoc.uts.edu.au/users/wildfire/samba/> and it is also
> > available via http at the same location.
>
> what I'd really like is to give you write access to CVS and I'll
> create a BRANCH_AUTOCONF based on the current main branch. When the
> autoconf stuff is working well I'll then merge it into the main branch
> (that will be one heck of a merge!)

Hmm, at the moment I am patching against BRANCH_NTDOM; I'll spend some
time this weekend porting it back to the mainline. Unless of course your
release timetable/schedule is different.

I know that you intend that Samba 2.x (at some point) be protocol
independant, and obviously NTDOM will be merged back into the mainline -
when do you see (want to see) that happening?

> PS: Do you think we should use automake?

Perhaps. Part of doing that will be autoconf'iscating SAMBA ( and
libtool'ing any ibraries) anyway. automake will likely impose a recursive
makefile situation on you, or at least make them seem more attractive,
which is something you wanted to avoid. After reading
<URL:http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~millerp/rmch/recu-make-cons-harm.html> I
tend to agree that recursive makefiles aren't good.

Regards,
Anand.

--
 `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
  its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are