configuration, ldap and NetInfo

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Thu Apr 16 17:02:33 GMT 1998

Robert Frank wrote:

> I had a look at the samba as of April 9th, in regards of adding NetInfo,
> ldap, or whatever else. I mainly looked through params.c and loadparams.c.
>
> I was a bit anoyed to see some non-samba related code (SWAT) in the
> sources. I think that samba and configuration managers must be completely
> decoupled (in regards to the source code).

Well, one of the reasons for having them tightly coupled
is that swat automatically picks up any changes that
are made in the main Samba parameters. This is a significant
win IMHO.

> First of all, NetInfo, and probalbly any other database interface,
> delivers lists as such (and not as a string of values), thus, I'd like to
> change the syntax of the smb.conf file (very slightly):
>

> - a parameter assignment is terminated by a semicolon

I would strongly suggest this not be done. It would break
all current smb.conf files. Changing whitespace is fine
(if carefully examined for effects on current smb.conf files)
but forcing all parameter = xxx lines to end with a semicolon
would break too much.

Remember, we may have over 1,000,000 users out there (at the
last estimate), and when they upgrade they don't want to change
the smb.conf files.

We need to work within the smb.conf format we have.

Cheers,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.