clientgen...

Bartlomiej Czardybon czar at silesia.pik-net.pl
Wed Apr 15 22:32:13 GMT 1998

Hi.

I've got a few questions and notices related to clientgen.c.
Well... I want to write program, which could use shares of windows
computers in some way - lets say it could be file manager.

I noticed that in latest samba package is nice set of functions
in clientgen.c, which would be usable as 'libsmb'.

Nica, although there was missing one function (in 1.9.18p4):
cli_RNetShareEnum - I wrote it and added to my private copy of clientgen,
if samba maintainers want it, I can of course send it to them.

Here is one question: is there going to be done effort to make from
clientgen.c consistent and in some way not connected with samba itself,
set of functions, kind of library, which could be used by developers
of client programs ? I think that there is a need for such stable
and well tested piece of software.

If not - are there any formal, or other reasons that should stop me from
taking some obejcts to build up libsmb.a, and some *.h files to
make prototypes for cli_ functions ? I think it is bad idea, because
in current samba distribution there is no way to find out which files
should be linked into libsmb.a and which not (I know which, because
we've got 'smbtorture' program which is linked with clientgen), and of
course it is way not ellegant.

--
Bartlomiej Czardybon, System Administrator, PiK-Net ul. Toszecka 102 Gliwice
voice: +48 32 279-96-00   fax: +48 32 279-96-01