Updating creation, mod, access times in clitar.c

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Fri Apr 10 23:28:00 GMT 1998

Hi,

It seems that more advanced servers keep three sets of times related to a
file. These seem to be the last access time, the last mod time, and the
creation time.

At the moment, I am only updating the mtime, I suspect, using an SMB setatr
call in clitar. However, if I knew the version of the protocol in use, and
had the extra info, I could correctly set all three (if they were available).

Now, the tar header has space for all three I believe, and I do know the
version of the protocol, so it remains to find out what SMB to use to
accomplish this and some rules for the following situation:

1. Someone saves some files from a server that does not support all three
dates

2. Later wants to restore to a system that does ...

Perhaps the best approac is to set all three dates to the same value?

So, does this make sense, and what SMB do I use?

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, NIC-Handle:RJS96
NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
Ph: +61-8-8281-0063, FAX: +61-8-8250-2080,
Linux, AIX, Digital UNIX, ULTRIX, SunOS, Samba, Apache, NetScape, ICSS,
Perl, C, C++ ...