smbclient and tar changes

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Fri Apr 10 13:02:49 GMT 1998

Hi,

in all the changes I have made, I have been careful to ensure that the
changes I have made are backwards compatible.

So, if someone has an old tar file around, they should still be able to
restore it with the current version.

I have just added the ability to specify files to be excluded from a tar
archive. I did this by adding an extra parameter -r which modifies the
meaning of -X (and maybe one day -I) such that the first arg of -X is now a
regular expression.

So,

  smbclient \\\\server\\service -TcXr xxx.tar "*.(obj|exe)"

will back up the file service \\\\server\\service except for files ending
in .obj and .exe.

However, because it is an extra argument, it will not break any of those
scripts that are out in the field.

Hope you like it ...

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, NIC-Handle:RJS96
NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
Ph: +61-8-8281-0063, FAX: +61-8-8250-2080,
Linux, AIX, Digital UNIX, ULTRIX, SunOS, Samba, Apache, NetScape, ICSS,
Perl, C, C++ ...