CVS update: samba/source

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Thu Apr 9 19:31:25 GMT 1998

Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> Jeremy,
>
> The problem is in ubi_Cache.c, where I have:
>
> static char ModuleID[] =
> "ubi_Cache\n\
> \t$Revision: 0.0 $\n\
> \t$Date: 1997/12/18 06:24:33 $\n\
> \t$Author: crh $\n";
>
> In ubi_BinTree.c I have a function which prints these out.  I need to
> write a similar function for ubi_Cache.c, but it had occurred to me that
> it was silly to write the same function in every module.  I hadn't had
> time to come up with a new way of doing this, so I just left the string
> in ubi_Cache.  A warning is valid, but the -Werror turns warnings into
> errors.
>
> Honestly, I don't know how you compile at all.  I get *lots* of warnings
> when I compile on the SGI.
>
> Anyway, I'd prefer to just leave it as it is.  It's all a matter of
> deciding where the problem lives.  From your point of view, it's in my
> code, but in my point of view...  Well, I do take warnings seriously but
> if I know why they're there I typically let them go.  They serve to
> remind me of future enhancements.
>
> You could compile the ubiqx modules first (without -Werror) and then
> compile the rest as you like.
>
> Let me know if you really can't bring yourself to let this one go.

I really, really, really, can't, sorry - it's an anal thing
with me (if I see one warning, it's all over - the code
is broken :-).

I will check in an #if 0 around the offending
moduleid if that's ok - with a comment explaining
why. Then we can remove them as the other stuff
gets added that uses them. Is that ok ?

Can you send me the warnings list from the SGI
- as I've said, I can't abide warnings (I get
none on FreeBSD/gcc-2.8 :-).

Jeremy.