Another wierdity.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at NTS.Umn.EDU
Wed Apr 8 23:29:07 GMT 1998

Double mangling?

I have created a Unix file named velb".two.  The quote is an illegal
character, which forces mangling of the name.  I've looked at the cache
in the *original* *and* my version and I'm getting the same result:

  The name is mangled twice.

This appears to happen *only* with names that contain illegal characters.

Here's some log output (I added some debug statements just for this
purpose):

CRH: In name_map_mangle()
CRH: Added [.cutbuffer] to the cache.
CRH: cached [.cutbuffer] <-> [CUTBU~X9.___]
CRH: In name_map_mangle()
CRH: Added [velb".two] to the cache.
CRH: cached [velb".two] <-> [VELB~1O.TWO]
CRH: In name_map_mangle()
CRH: Added [VELB~1O.TWO] to the cache.
CRH: cached [VELB~1O.TWO] <-> [VELB~~OV.TWO]

Again, this is the *old* version.  Note that the name '.cutbuffer' is only
cached once, while the name 'velb".two' is cached as 'VELB~1O.TWO' and the
latter is *re-mangled and cached again* as 'VELB~~OV.TWO'.

You should be able to check this yourselves by creating such a file in a
share, mounting the share from Windows/95, and doing a dir from the dos
window.  The name with two magic chars should appear as the short name and
the initial manglement should appear as the Windows/95 long name (the one
following the date).

I *don't* think that this is proper behavior.  Bonk me on the head with
an empty pizza box if I'm wrong...  I'll see if I can fix it.

Here's the smb.conf:

; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ;; SMB.CONF for WINS services on Ruby.
;
; Goal: No print or file services.  WINS only.
; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ;
[global]
load printers = no
allow hosts = 128.101., 134.84., 164.94.
available = yes
comment = \
    This server provides WINS name resolution only; no file or print services.
dead time = 5
domain master = yes
; dont descend = /
interfaces = 160.94.82.132/24