Mapping of RIDs to uid_t and gid_t

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Sat Apr 4 16:15:49 GMT 1998

> then the user/group account database available
> via YP becomes the Domain account database,
> and the local accounts on the local Samba
> servers within that domain become the local
> users and the aliases. Hmmmmm....

ah.  can we call them "local groups"?  or shall we decide that "aliases"
definitely means "local groups"?

jeremy, it just occurred to me.  we have "domain sid = S-1-5-21-..." but
we don't have "machine sid = S-1-5-21-...".  this is important.  you
mention local accounts, above, yeah?  well, the machine SID concatenated
with the "alias" or local user id provides you with a globally unique id
for that user or alias, even though the user is not a member of a domain.

luke