NTLMSSP auth header

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Thu Apr 2 18:26:04 GMT 1998

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> and paul leach also mentioned that he is trying to get the various bods to
> consider releasing NTLMSSP documentation for public review, too.

Yeah it's been promised for a while. I'll believe it
when I see it.

> jeremy, do you _happen_ to know what then occurs if you negotiate "encrypt
> data"?  note the "authentication verifier" at the end.  paul ashton
> reckons that there is an rc4 key kicking about that decrypts the packet...

Nope, 'fraid not. I have ordered the DCE/RPC specs though,
and reading through them on the net I know understand
fully what the 4 byte pointer values are (that we add
as zero if there is no value, and 1 if there is - that's
wrong BTW, or did you fix this ?). I also now understand
why MS embedd NT pointer offsets into the DCE packets - it's
quite an elegent solution to cut down on bandwidth.

Bug me if you need an explaination.

Jeremy.