resolving NetBIOS names with a dot

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.anu.edu.au
Wed Apr 1 13:50:11 GMT 1998

> biereco:~$ smbclient -L "NET.BARF." -d2

uggh, what a name!

> While chasing the samba code for this peculiarity, I found the following:

yeah, Samba chops names at the first . and uses that for the netbios
name. I realise now that this is a really bad idea but when I put that
in I didn't really imagine anyone would use names with a . in them.

There are a few places in samba where this assumption is made. Someone
needs to go through and clean it up then test with a large bunch of
test cases.

Any volunteers?

> Now, my idea is to be a bit more prudent about names with a '.' in them.
> If it's a IP hostname, gethostbyname() will verify that and proceed as
> usual.. If it doesn't, assume it's a NetBIOS name with a '.' in it.

sounds sensible!

Cheers, Andrew