[samba-soc] getting started

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Fri May 26 14:28:38 GMT 2006

Jerry,

 > The final code submission should meet the initial
 > requirements spec so I'd like us to take a week
 > to hash this out (between you and your mentor(s)).
 > We will publish these on samba.org somehow.

sounds good.

btw, for my students, I prefer plain text unless using a fancy format
really adds something to the content :)

 > I would strongly prefer that the majority of communication
 > happens on the samba-technical mailing list.  For my
 > students, this will pretty much be a requirement except
 > for casual conversions on irc://irc.freenode.net/#samba-technical.
 > All design discussions should really be on the mailing
 > lists for wider involvement.

yep, I think this is a good policy. I also like to chat on IRC, but if
we have any really substantial IRC discussions it might be an idea to
do a summary to the mailing list afterwards.

 > What I would like to try (for Samba 3 work at least)
 > is to use bazaar-ng.  I will maintain a current bzr
 > tree on samba.org to pull from.  If you aren't familiar
 > with bzr, please do a little bit of reading.  It's
 > pretty similar to svn and cvs.

for those of you who don't know, we've been discussing the possibility
of moving samba development to something like bzr for a while
now. We're reasonably happy with svn (it sure is better than cvs!),
but are interested in some of the really nice features a distributed
system can give, so if we do use bzr for the SoC projects I'm involved
with then it would be a nice way to see how well it works for samba
stuff.

Jerry, when you have a minute can you explain what style of bzr
operation you're thinking of? The way I've tended to use it in the
past is via a 'central' developer doing pulls from other people,
resolving any conflicts, and pushing the result onto a public page.

btw, do you know if anyone has done a svn->bzr gateway yet? I'm
wondering how easy it will be for us to keep the SoC and non-SoC repos
synchronised. Hmm, I guess we also have to work out if we actually
want them synchronised in the first place ...

Cheers, Tridge

PS: on SoC admin stuff, defer to Jerry, not me. He's the boss, I'm
just the trouble maker :-)