[samba-soc] Problem setting up a pgp key ...

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Mon Jun 27 15:33:47 GMT 2005

Andrew Bartlett schrieb:
> On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 18:30 -0400, Amit Regmi wrote:
>
>>How to get a
>>
>> "  ssh2 public key
>>and signature from pgp key "
>>
>>When I run the command
>>
>>    gpg --detach-sign --armor
>>
>>I get the following messg ..
>>

>>>gpg: failed to create temporary file
>>>`/root/.gnupg/.#lk0xf7005998.alankaar.lan.neolinuxsolutions.com.3388':
>>>No such file or directory
>>>gpg: keyblock resource `/root/.gnupg/secring.gpg': general error
>>>gpg: failed to create temporary file
>>>`/root/.gnupg/.#lk0xf7005cb8.alankaar.lan.neolinuxsolutions.com.3388':
>>>No such file or directory
>>>gpg: keyblock resource `/root/.gnupg/pubring.gpg': general error
>>>gpg: no default secret key: secret key not available
>>>gpg: signing failed: secret key not available
>>

>>Very new to this .. Plz help ...
>

> It looks like you have never setup a gpg key.
>
> The first hit on google 'gpg howto' gives promising results:
> http://webber.dewinter.com/gnupg_howto/english/GPGMiniHowto.html
>

>>Also I would like to know how to do it in Windows XP
>

> To successfully complete the rest of the requirements for active
> participation in the SOC activities, it will be pretty painful unless
> you can make a Linux box your primary development platform.  (The last
> person I know to try SVN+ssh on windows endured much pain for no
> success).

Hey Andrew,

I still use winxp for my workstation and run thunderbird with enigmail on it,
and just ssh to my linux servers...

Amit,
take a look at thunderbird and it's enigmail plugin and gpg for win32,
enigmail overs a nice gui to setup gpg keys...

- --
metze

Stefan Metzmacher <metze at samba.org> www.samba.org