No subject

Tue Dec 2 02:23:37 GMT 2003

server on each subnet and getting them to periodically replicate through
WINS manager (this is on an NT network.)

If you want to do this using Samba's WINS support, I'm unsure whether this
method will work.  Probably your best bet is to either:

A.	have your wins server on one of the subnets (preferably the one with
the most machines, to save on inter-site traffic,) and get the DHCP server
on the other subnet to serve out this wins server's IP address to its
clients.  This will generate quite a large amount of traffic.  One way to
reduce this to an extent is to get the said DHCP server to tell each of the
Windows nodes that they're netbios-node-type 0x8 (I think...), which is
'hybrid'; that is, that the windows clients will first attempt to use
broadcast queries to resolve names, and then resort to the wins server if
this doesn't work.

B.	probably a slightly better way to do this is to have one side of the
network (again, preferably the one with more hosts than the other,) run the
WINS server, and then play with the 'wins proxy' option in SMB.conf.  I'm
not sure how well this would work, or whether the wins proxy code caches
wins responses or not.

Cheers,

Chris

CAUTION - This message may contain privileged and confidential information
intended only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the
intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message is prohibited.
immediately.

> server on each subnet and getting them to periodically replicate through
> WINS manager (this is on an NT network.)

Install one WINS server.  Doesn't matter where, really, although wherever it
will get the most hits is a good idea.

Next, set all the machines to use it in their TCP/IP config, and everything
will work properly.  If you use DHCP acrosss the board, just set it from
there and have everybody renew (Or reboot, depending on the IQ of your
users)

WINS replication is pointless, unless you need redundancy, or have machines
seperated on an extremely high latency WAN, or you just want to reduce WAN
traffic.  WINS requests are extremely small (Think DNS), you won't see much
in terms of bandwidth, but latency is an issue.

> A. have your wins server on one of the subnets (preferably the one with
> the most machines, to save on inter-site traffic,) and get the DHCP server
> on the other subnet to serve out this wins server's IP address to its
> clients.  This will generate quite a large amount of traffic.  One way to
> reduce this to an extent is to get the said DHCP server to tell each of
the
> Windows nodes that they're netbios-node-type 0x8 (I think...), which is
> 'hybrid'; that is, that the windows clients will first attempt to use
> broadcast queries to resolve names, and then resort to the wins server if
> this doesn't work.

WINS will generate almost no traffic in a real world environment.
Significantly less then broadcasts, that's been my own experiance, anyway.

IIRC, all the books I've read (My own real world experiance agrees, btw)
suggest that you should use WINS first, because it's the same traffic as a
broadcast, but it doesn't need every machine to "think" about the request,
just the WINS server.  If your network is switched, then WINS will seroiusly
inprove performance (If you care about the 200 or so byte requests going
out)

> B. probably a slightly better way to do this is to have one side of the
> network (again, preferably the one with more hosts than the other,) run
the
> WINS server, and then play with the 'wins proxy' option in SMB.conf.  I'm
> not sure how well this would work, or whether the wins proxy code caches
> wins responses or not.

This will likely generate even more traffic then the above.

Dave Warren,
 Email:  dave.warren at devilsplayground.net