No subject

Tue Dec 2 02:23:37 GMT 2003

   When do I need a CAL?
   A. You need a Windows 2000 Server CAL for each client device that is
   used by an authenticated user or that uses Windows Server Services.
   [followed, inexplicably, by a paragraph talking about "NT Server CALs"]

   What is the difference between the OS license and CALs? Why do I need
   A. Windows 2000 Server, like Windows NT Server 4.0 and earlier
   versions, has separate client and server components of licensing to
   allow complete scalability of your client/server solution. You require
   a server license for each server within a Windows 2000 Server-based
   network, and a Windows 2000 CAL for each device that uses Windows 2000
   authentication (if the user of the device is authenticated by Windows
   2000 or authenticated using credentials from Windows 2000 Directory
   Services) or File, Print, Remote Access or Terminal Services. A 
   Windows 2000 CAL is required for each client computer that meets the
   above criteria and accesses Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced
   Server, or Windows 2000 Datacenter Server. [...]
   In the license you state that "You need a Windows 2000 Server Client
   Access License for each Device" What do you mean by Device?
   A. Device means any electronic device you use to access or otherwise
   utilize the services of a server running Windows 2000 Server or
   Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Some examples would be a computer,
   workstation, terminal, handheld PC, pager, telephone, "smart phone,"
   and so on.

The second Q&A above suggest that I could be wrong in my
interpretation (I hadn't spotted the last sentence I quote), but you
could argue that the client is (at least indirectly) accessing the
Win2k directory services for authentication.

What is interesting is the interpretation of "device".  CALs for
everything electronic, before long.  If I telnet from my home Linux box to a
work Unix box, and from there use smbclient to access a file on a
Win2k server, all of a sudden I need a CAL for both my home box and my
work box.

It's not too bad in my work environment because we've signed up for
Microsoft's Campus Agreement, which covers us for unlimited CALs on
campus and also for staff home machines.  (This is a university in the
UK, btw.)  Campus also covers unlimited use of MS Office
Standard/Professional, Visual Studio, and FrontPage, on University and
staff-owned PCs, but with the downside that it's a rental agreement,
not a perpetual licence.

Martin Radford              |   "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ 
martin at | men just upload their important stuff  -o)
Registered Linux user #9257 |  on ftp and let the rest of the world  /\\
- see |       mirror it ;)"  - Linus Torvalds _\_V

More information about the samba-ntdom mailing list