No subject

Tue Dec 2 02:23:37 GMT 2003

passwd chat (G)

This  string  controls the "chat" conversation that
takes places between smbd and  the  local  password
changing  program to change the users password. The
string describes  a  sequence  of  response-receive
pairs  that  smbd uses to determine what to send to
the passwd program and what to expect back. If  the
expected  output  is not received then the password
is not changed.

This chat sequence is often  quite  site  specific,
depending  on what local methods are used for pass­
word control (such as NIS etc).

The string can contain the  macros  "%o"  and  "%n"
which are substituted for the old and new passwords
respectively. It  can  also  contain  the  standard
macros "\n", "\r", "\t" and "\s" to give line-feed,
carriage-return, tab and space.
The string can also contain a ´*´ which matches any
sequence of characters.

Double  quotes  can be used to collect strings with
spaces in them into a single string.

If the send string in any part of the chat sequence
is  a  fullstop  "."  then no string is sent. Simi­
larly, is the expect string is a fullstop  then  no
string is expected.

Note  that if the "unix password sync" parameter is
set to true, then this sequence is called *AS ROOT*
when  the  SMB  password  in  the smbpasswd file is
being changed, without access to the  old  password
cleartext.  In this case the old password cleartext
is set to "" (the empty string).

See also "unix password sync", "passwd program" and
"passwd chat debug"