Unable to authenticate users from PDC using winbind

Mark Cooke mark at mmebs.co.uk
Fri Jan 4 08:42:02 GMT 2002

Hi,

I am now getting a bit farther in my quest..

I ve altered then /etc/pam.d/login file to include the following:

(As iam currently trying to login directly at the terminal)

auth       required     /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so use_first_pass shadow nullok
account required /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
password   required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     /lib/security/pam_console.so

it now logs in, flashes up my issue message, then goes back to the login
prompt.

checking /var/log/messages, it seems that it has loged in ok and verified
the user, but then it closes the session straight away.

Jan  4 16:31:51 scaramanga pam_winbind[14246]: user 'MMEBS+admin' granted acces
Jan  4 16:31:51 scaramanga login(pam_unix)[14246]: session opened for user
MMEBS+admin by LOGIN(uid=0)
Jan  4 16:31:51 scaramanga  -- MMEBS+admin[14246]: LOGIN ON tty1 BY MMEBS+admin
Jan  4 16:31:51 scaramanga login(pam_unix)[14246]: session closed for user
MMEBS+admin

could anyone possable offer any hints?

my global section in the smb.conf file reads:

[global]

# Windind configuration
    winbind separator = +
    winbind cache time = 10