Problem with network browsing

Martin.Doule Martin.Doule at czech.sun.com
Thu Jan 3 08:23:02 GMT 2002

Hi all.

I have samba 2.2.2. installed on Solaris 2.8 and acting as a PDC. Everything
works fine except for network browsing. All clients on same subnet are unable to
view any computer in Network Neiborhood. Using MS utils I found, that our server
is Browsemaster for our Domain, but it looks like it gives no lists to other
computer.

Investigating logs i found this strange thing:

1) dump workgroup on Subnet 129.156.76.6: netmask= 255.255.255.0:
	PRAGUE(1) current master browser = SUPERSAMBA

this looks fine as after this is list of computers on subnet. But then is there
next row:

   dump workgroup on subnet  UNICAST_SUBNET: netmask=  129.156.76.5:
        PRAGUE(1) current master browser = UNKNOW
		SUPERSAMBA (some digits) (PDC samba 2.2.2)

What this means? Some misconfiguration? 129.156.76.5 is our WINS server, there
is no such interface on our PDC.

2) I found that SUPERSAMBA is initiating sync with local master browser on each
subnets, which is fine, but there is also Local master browser XYZ for workgroup
PRAGUE on same subnet as our PDC! Is that OK? I thought that our PDC is Local
master for subnets it has direct access, at least I wanted to configure it thtat
way. Bellow is my smb.conf:

[global]
	workgroup = PRAGUE
	netbios name = SUPERSAMBA
	server string = PDC samba 2.2.2.
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	log level = 2
	time server = Yes
	domain admin group = @ntadm, admin, root
	domain guest group = @domguest
	logon script = logon.bat
	logon path =
	logon drive = U:
	logon home = \\xzy\%u
	domain logons = Yes
	os level = 128
	preferred master = True
	domain master = True
	Local master = Yes
	dns proxy = No
	wins server = 129.156.76.5
	guest account = guest
	admin users = admin
	printer admin = @ntadm, admin
	follow symlinks = No

Thanks in advance for any help.

Martin Doule

System Administrator, Forte Tools	Sun Microsystems Czech, s.r.o.
Software System Group			Evropska 33e
					160 00  Prague 6

Tel: +420-2-33009193			Internal: x49193
Fax: +420-2-33009299			Mobile: +420-606-625752